ADOPTION

There are an estimated 3.7 million orphans in South Africa and 150,000 children are believed to be living in child-headed households. There is an estimated 3 000 babies abandoned in South Africa each year. These statistics breaks my heart. 

Now I have this question: Why does the government (and private institutions) make it so difficult AND expensive to adopt a baby/child. I am a 36 year old single woman and I have inquired about adopting. This has been a dream of mine since I was a young girl, you see my mom grew up in an orphanage. She had a mom and dad but because of family issues she had to grow up in an orphanage with her some of her siblings.

When I started my inquiry I was so excited I was ready and I was willing to give it all to this child I want to adopt. To give someone the love and care and attention that their biological parent couldn't or wouldn't give them. Soon I was disappointed in what I heard and read. 

It is so expensive to adopt a child privately that I have no idea how people do it. And if you do it through the government it can take years of waiting and there is a really big chance that you wont be paired with a child to adopt. Every where I phoned I got the same answer. Go through private channels and adopt there or we're sorry but we don't deal with these kind of adoptions. (these kind?)

Why in this world would you not want to help a child find a happy home? I understand the interviews and checks and I know these people needs to be paid but why ask the people that's trying to save a child's live to pay so much money just to give him/her a home. Did you really read my first line? 3.7 million orphans. 3000 babies abandoned.
Why make it so difficult for these children to find a home. Why make it so expensive to give a child a home.

I know this post will probably not make much of a difference in this matter. I do hope that in the future hopefully not too far in the future our government and private institutions will find a way for someone like me to be able to adopt a child without the restraints of the exorbitant amounts of money you have to pay to love a child that's biologically not your own.

To all the big dreamers. Keep holding on. Keep fighting for your family.

Till later
Hester



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WRITERS BLOCK

LOVE YOURSELF